Curious about something in particular..?

Thursday 9 November 2017

In the Shadow


For the past few weeks you've had to endure film review upon film review, without any posts on travel, writing or fiction! But as is the case with these colder months, venturing any further than the local cinema is unlikely. That said, I will be posting about my trip to Cheddar Gorge in the summer as well as a recent trip to Dublin and Galway in Ireland. 

In the meantime, here's some flash fiction. This comes from a much earlier assignment as part of my course, which means I probably wrote it a good couple of years ago now. But it's a good example of how you can tell so much using so very few words. Of course, I have some mythology on my side here - you'll see what I mean. Don't underestimate the challenge of writing fiction, though. In fact, it's just as difficult as novel writing but in its own way. 

For more writing tips, keep an eye out on the "Curious About Writing" section of my blog, as I'll be adding some new posts there too in the next few days. And if you'd like any advice on writing, or if you're simply curious to see more of my fiction, get in touch!

In the Shadow

From a small island, a large masked man observed a city across the river, where a beam of white light emerged from the skyline and moved back and forth along dark grey clouds. An old manor house dominated the island, intercepting the moonlight before it reached the well-groomed grounds. Behind him, a boy slinked out of the darkness and joined him on the balcony.
‘So,’ the boy said, ‘you have a butler and your own damn signal.’
‘I told you to wear a mask,’ the man said without turning to face him. ‘And you hardly look threatening. You remind me of a female cat burglar I know.’
The boy sighed. ‘It’s an eye-mask. You told me to look different to you, remember? You’re the “one and only”, after all.’
‘This isn’t a game, Dick!’ the man snapped. ‘I’m you’re “one and only” mentor. If anyone sees your face at the bank, we’ll be locked up. Just remember how many people inside want us dead. And no armor? You’ll be riddled with bullets!’
‘No one would recognize me, so chill,’ the boy shrugged. ‘And the Kevlar weighs a ton.’ 
Suddenly, the man swung around and swept past the boy. His enormous black cape followed him like a shadow. ‘Quit clowning around and let’s move,’ he said. ‘Tell the police we’re coming. I’ll get the car.’
‘I’m not your slave,’ the boy complained as he strutted behind him.
'No,' the man said through clenched teeth. 'You're my sidekick, Robin.'

No comments:

Post a Comment